Kirkintilloch, in East
Dunbartonshire, lies on the Forth & Clyde Canal, about 10 miles from
Glasgow and 35 miles from Edinburgh. Peel Park was built on high
ground, near the centre of Kirkintilloch, in 1901.
The Perry Bandstand and a
nearby fountain both come from the Lyon Foundry, Kirkintilloch.
Both the fountain and the bandstand were given to the people of
Kirkintilloch in 1905.
David Perry, Provost of Kirkintilloch, paid for the bandstand in 1905.
Provost Perry died in 1939.
The Lyon Foundry closed in 1984.
The bandstand was restored,
with the help of Lottery funding, in 2003.