This statue is in memory
of the small Skye terrier that returned daily to sit at his master's
gravestone in Greyfriars' Cemetery, from the date of his master's death from
tuberculosis in 1857or 1858, every day for 14 years.
The statue is situated close to Greyfriars' Cemetery, at the junction
of George IV Bridge (leading to the right - out of
picture) and Candlemaker Row (leading down
the hill on left of picture).
The statue is still at this junction, but no longer supplies water.
In the picture above water can be seen on two levels, the higher level for
humans and the lower level for dogs.