Optical & Photographic Establishment
The firm that supplied the pocket barometers (above) would have
been Lennies. The company was based at 46 Princes Street. It
traded under various 'Lennie' names from this address for almost a hundred
years from 1857.
They appear to have been retailers, rather than manufacturers of
scientific instruments for most of this period.
book "Brass & Glass: Scientific
Instrument Making Workshops in Scotland"
[Publ. National Museums
includes a photograph of the cover of catalogue by E Lennie, published
some time between 1859 and 1901.
It describes the company as 'Optical &
It lists their products:
- spectacles and eye glasses in every
variety of mounting.
- lenses, cameras and photographic
- stereoscopes in endless variety and
- acromatic telescopes, field glasses
and opera glasses.
- barometers, thermometers, magic
- Peter Stubbs:
November 25, 2007