James Howie's studio at 45
Princes Street is in the lower centre of this picture.
is the right hand half of an engraving from an ink and watercolour painting,
made in 1845 by Joseph Woodfall Ebsworth (1824-1908).
He produced four images, looking north, south, east and west from here.
This is the only one to have been engraved.
view looks to the north across Princes Street and up South Saint David Street
towards St Andrew’s Square, from the newly constructed Scott Monument.
row of buildings facing St Andrew Square runs along the centre of the picture,
in the shade. Three of these
buildings have skylights. The central one of these three is 5 St Andrew Square – The
National Bible Society’s Rooms. This
is where Edinburgh Photographic Society held most of its meetings from 1863 to
click here to view an enlargement of
the section of the engraving containing Howie's