are the fronts and backs of cartes de visite by John T Croal produced
between 1863 and 1866 in his studio at 80 George Street.
The first year that John T Croll appeared in the
Edinburgh & Leith trade directories was 1864, but the note on the back of
the first carte de visite below indicates that his business was already
operating by September 1863.
Cartes de visite are small photographs mounted
on card measuring about 3.5 ins x 2.25 ins.
Copyright: For permission to
reproduce, please contact
with acknowledgement to Ron Cosens
The second of the cartes de visite above is a scan of a photocopy, so
is not a close match to the original, having lost its colour and most of
the intermediate tones.
However it is interesting to see that the two cartes de visite have
different backs, even though the photographer appears to have been in
business for only a couple of years.