The course of the Water of Leith can
be seen running from the western side of the 1844 map to the northern
side. It follows the line of trees in the aerial view.
The prominent features in the centre of the 1844 map are the gasworks at
Canonmills, and Tanfield Hall, where the Ministers of the Free Church of Scotland
held their First Assembly in 1843, following their separation from the
Free Church of Scotland, as recorded in
This has been replaced in
the aerial view by the Tanfield Administrative Offices of The Standard
Life Assurance Company, with the three domes and rooftop garden.
This office was opened in 1991.
has now been drained.
In the top left corner of the 1844
map is the
Horticultural Society Gardens, now the Royal Botanic Gardens.