1860 - 1870
changes over the ten years from 1860
until 1870 bring the streets of Edinburgh into line with the centre of
the city as we know it today - over 130 years later.
CENTRE: The two galleries:
The Royal Institution (now named the Royal Scottish Academy) and
The National Gallery of Scotland
still clearly shown, but now they have a road between them and a
road (the Mound) alongside them. The route of the Mound and Bank
Street, up the hill, across the Royal
Mile and into George IV Bridge is now more apparent.
have been erected beside Princes Street, on either side of the
galleries, in Princes Street Gardens.
CENTRE: The Bank of Scotland in its prominent position, on
high ground, at the centre of this map, has been enlarged since 1860.
This extension was welcomed, at least by RM Ballantyne who wrote:
was built in 1806 and the edifice has recently received very extensive
and handsome additions. These were much wanted, for the original
building was by no means ornamental."
RIGHT: More railway tracks have been added in East Princes
Street gardens as the station has expanded. Waverley Bridge crosses the
tracks, beside the station, and a new junction has been created where it
joins Princes Street. From this junction, there is a good view to
the south towards the high buildings of the Old Town of Edinburgh.
Castle - Some buildings have been added to Edinburgh Castle.
Others have been removed.
RIGHT: The top of West Bow has been named Victoria
Street. The alignment of this street has been changed where it
joins George IV Bridge.