CENTRE: The Royal Institution (now named the Royal Scottish
Academy). Beneath it, to the south, is an area described as the Earthen
Mound, now with a tunnel for the Edinburgh & Glasgow railway
running beneath it. The National Gallery of Scotland is soon to be
built on top of this tunnel.
LEFT and RIGHT: The railway runs through the Princes Street
Gardens and Cleghorn's Nursery. At the North side of Cleghorn's
Nursery, adjoining Princes Street, the Scott Monument has been built.
Castle - The road running to the south of Edinburgh Castle is still
described as New the West Approach road.
RIGHT: The western end of the Old Town of Edinburgh.
The Old Town, with its high buildings and narrow
closes extends (off the map to the right) down the High
Street towards Holyrood
Palace and Abbey. This part of the map has seen little change
since the map of 1830.