Here is an enlargement of the top
left hand portion of Edinburgh & Leith section of a
map surveyed in 1812.
- This is an area
about 1 to 2 miles to the north of Princes Street, Edinburgh. The
area contained very few houses
in 1812. They were mainly scattered detached houses in Trinity and
terraced houses in Newhaven.
- The names on
the map above are still all familiar today.
road lay-out can easily be recognised today, except for the road at the
upper left leading to Wardie. The northern part of this road is now
'lost' under Wardie Primary School playing fields. The main road to
the North is now Granton Road, a broad road a little further to the west,
which was built to give access to the new
Granton Harbour built in the 1830s.