Here is an enlargement of
the bottom left hand portion of Edinburgh & Leith section of a
map surveyed in 1812.
map shows the lay-out of Edinburgh's 'First New Town' - St Andrew
Square, Charlotte Square, Princes Street, George Street, Queen
Street and the roads linking them. (The 'Second New Town' was built
a little further north and included the roads to the north, not yet named
on the map above.
- The water of
Leith runs from bottom left to upper right on its way to meeting the Firth
of Forth at Leith.
Inverleith House at the top of this map. The house is at the top of
a small hill, now within the Royal
Botanic Gardens at Inverleith.
- In the
centre of the map is
Canonmills Loch, now drained.
The map above shows a yellow road leading from the lower right towards the centre of the
map, past Sand Pit and Blue Stone Quarry. This road has now been
lost under the buildings of Edinburgh's 'Second New Town'.