Prison, was on the South side of Regent Road, across the road from
Edinburgh Royal High
School, near the foot of the road leading from Regent Road to the top
of Calton Hill.
prison was designed by Archibald Elliot. It was built 1815-17,
and demolished 1938.
the right-hand side of this photo, on Calton Hill, is the Dugald Stewart
Monument, designed by William Playfair, 1831.