Cable Cars until
23 June 1923
"The date of the very
last cable car in service was Saturday 23 June 1923, running
between Waterloo Place and Joppa. The terminus was just at the
east end of the seaside promenade where it met the Musselburgh
electric cars in Seaview Terrace.
The tracks were not
connected as through running between the two systems was
impossible. but in the spring of 1923 with the Edinburgh
electrification imminent, gangs of workers worked in haste to
link the two tracks. Then, on 24th June 1923, the first through
electric cars from Post Office to Port Seton were operated, the
first tram being a company car of the Musselburgh and District
Electric Light & Traction Co Ltd (their No 15, built by Brush of
Loughborough in 1909).
This service was
jointly operated by the Corporation and Company cars until
early 1928 when the Company ceased to run trams, whereupon the
Corporation agreed to take sole responsibility for the service
to Musselburgh but only as far as Levenhall."