1 June 1899
This photograph appears on a poster in Lothian Region
Transport's collection with the caption: "The First Cable Car at
However, in his book Edinburgh Transport: The Early
Years as DLG Hunter describes the scene as "The trial run from
Shrubhill to St Andrew Street on 1 June 1899.
Presumably the road works were completed some time between 1898 when
this trial run took place and June 1, 1899 when the service commenced.