Dumbiedykes Survey Photographs  -  1959 Survey

St Leonard's Sidings

St Leonard's Sidings - 1959

Dumbiedykes Survey Photograph - 1959  -  St Leonard's Sidings

  Reproduced with acknowledgement to Edinburgh City Libraries and Information Services                                            [Ref R1010D]

 

Dumbiedykes Survey Photographs  -  1959 Survey

St Leonard's Sidings

St Leonard's sidings were at the Edinburgh end of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway, Edinburgh's first passenger railway.  The railway opened in 1831 to transport coal.  From 1832 it also carried passengers.

St Loenard's sidings were situated between Holyrood Park and Parkside Street, immediately to the west of Park Road.  See the light yellow square on the small-scale railway map of Edinburgh below.

From St Leonard's sidings, the railway passed through a tunnel through Holyrood Park (now a public footpath and cycle track) in the direction of Duddingston.

Edinburgh Railways

Edinburgh's Railways  -  St Leonard's Station

 

 

The large photograph above was one of several dozen taken in 1959 by Adam H Malcolm in the Dumbiedykes area of Edinburgh.  These photographs were taken shortly before the houses were demolished.  Adam H Malcolm donated these photographs to the Edinburgh City Libraries in the 1960s and they can now be found in the Library's Edinburgh Room Collection.

 

 

 

Dumbiedykes:   Streets  A-G     Streets  H-R    Streets  S-Z    More Pages

Edinburgh Photos

Edinburgh Recollections

Contributors

 

 

 

__________________