The Peacock Inn has had a good reputation for its
meals, including traditional fish and chips, since the nineteenth century.
It was situated at the east end of Main Street,
Newhaven, Edinburgh. Originally the front of the inn faced directly
onto the Firth of Forth, but in the early-20th century a new road, Lindsay
Road, was built along the coast at Newhaven passing directly in front of
Edinburgh Photographic Society held their Annual
General Meeting there on 6 December 1878 at The Peacock Hotel, as it
was then named. The British Journal of Photography reported
"The Dinner was served in Mrs Main's best style, and ample justice
was done to it by the Company, whose appetites were sharpened by the
strong nor'-easter which was lashing the Firth into fury and rendering
the roads almost impassable by snow drifts.
During the evening, Messrs Pringle, Howie, Moffat, Young, Hannat
and Reid entertained the company with some capital vocal and
Here is a copy of the bill for the evening:
- 17 meals for £2 19s 6d
- 3s 4d for 2 pints of whisky***
6d for Attendance.
by courtesy of Edinburgh Photographic Society