Edinburgh Today - Cruise Ship
Based on research by Captain Walter Lyle Hume
you to Captain Walter Lyle Hume, formerly of Newhaven, Edinburgh, now
living in Cowes, Isle of Wight, for providing me with his comprehensive
research into OCEAN MIST.
W L Hume
served as Chief Officer for some time on board this vessel. The
notes below are based on this research.
First World War
was built for the Admiralty during the First World War as part of a large
programme to replace the many fishing trawlers that had been
requisitioned, converted to minesweepers, then lost in action.
Out of these 500 vessels built under this
is the only known steam-driven trawler to have survived into the 21st
The ship was originally named
SAMUEL GREEN. Each of the new
vessels built under this programme was
originally named after a member of the crew on the ships
at the time of the Battle of Trafalgar.
SAMUEL GREEN was
built by George Brown & Co, Greenock. It was not completed until 30
April 1919, by which time the War was over, so it was initially fitted out
as a fishing trawler.
Owner: K L Guinness
SAMUEL GREEN was sold in 1919 to
Mr. K. L. Guinness, a member of the renowned Irish brewery family and
inventor of the KLG spark plug. It was re-named
and its fishing gear was removed.
Accommodation was created for the owner and his
guests. The owner indulged in an early form of Rally Racing so he
had the original Fish Hold and Ice Room adapted to carry road racing cars
from the UK to the South of France and Italy.
was sold to the Duke of Leeds of
Hornby Castle and its name was changed to
In 1926 she sailed to the Cocos Islands.
In 1930, the yacht was
sold to yet another member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, Sir Harry K.
Newton, Bt. Its name reverted to
In 1934, the yacht was
acquired by Sir Alfred L. Goodson of Brixham, Devon, and was based at
Cowes, Isle of Wight.
In 1938, it was purchased by James Napier of Old
Kilpatrick on the Firth of Clyde in Scotland.
a relatively short period as a Clyde based yacht, due to the outbreak of
War in September 1939,
OCEAN ROVER was laid-up in Bowling
Harbour. It was requisitioned by the Admiralty during November 1939,
along with practically the entire British Fishing Fleet, to undertake the
duties of Mine Sweeping and Coastal Patrol.
It was, understandably,
used as a Group Commander's Head Quarters ship. Without conventional
fishing equipment - trawl winch/gallows etc, it would not have been
readily suitable without extensive conversion, to undertake practical mine
was designated as a Torpedo recovery vessel based at
Arrochar, Port Bannatyne, Ormidale - Loch Riddon, and Rothesay, prior to
becoming an anti-mine calibrating vessel stationed at Rosyth, Granton and
It then took up duties on
the South Coast, being Portsmouth based and working from the Solent
out-station of Cowes.
Most other vessels of
her size were trawlers. These were quickly sold out of
Admiralty service very soon after the war was over in 1945.
remained laid-up at Portsmouth, apparently not suitable for commercial
use, until 1949, when it was purchased by Mr. F. D. Fenston of London.
He moved it over to Cowes to be cleaned up and re-furbished as a yacht.
The crew were still accommodated in the original open plan cabin on the
aft side of the Engine Room bulkhead.
luxurious projects, such as yachting, were very strictly controlled by
government edict and coal was even more strictly rationed. So
remained unused for quite some time, mostly laid-up in a mud berth at the
yard of G. Marvin in Cowes.
Isle of Wight
By 1954 most of the
war-time restrictions had been lifted and
had a new owner, F G (Tiny) Mitchell - a Peterborough
multi-millionaire and a keen and successful racing yachtsman in the
He was a larger than
life figure, who wished to have a large stable boat to accommodate
his personal requirements. He found this yacht to be very suitable,
and re-named the yacht,
He arranged for it to be
fitted out as an accommodation ship and for its boilers to be altered from
coal burning to being oil fired. He berthed the yacht on the River
Medina at Cowes.
from being much more economical, this avoided the filthy aspect of
'coaling ship', which necessitated everyone leaving the ship, apart from
those involved in such duties. Even after the last drop of coal was
loaded the cleaning up ritual took just as long as the entire loading
With the passing of 'Tiny' Mitchell in 1957,
Ocean Mist was used by his widow, Mrs 'Blackie' Mitchell for a few years
although it never sailed.
During 1960 the yacht was purchased by Mr. Hobbs
of the Great Glen, Inverness, and could be seen at various locations along
the Caledonian Canal for several years.
Ocean Mist sailing on
the Caledonian Canal
Acknowledgement to Captain Walter Lyle Hume
After Mr. Hobbs, the owner, died in 1965,
became the property of the Executors of the Hobbs estate, ultimately being
bought for use as a floating restaurant and moored alongside the 'Kings
Wark' quay in the Old Harbour at Leith Docks, beside Bernard Street
Bridge, from the 1980s onwards.
The floating restaurant closed in 2000 but is now
open again as 'Cruz'.
Ocean Mist moored on
the Water of Leith, The Shore, Leith
Reproduced with acknowledgement to Captain Walter Lyle Hume
research above has been compiled by Captain Walter Lyle Hume, formerly of
Newhaven, Edinburgh but now living in Cowes, Isle of Wight, UK, who served as
Chief Officer for some time on board this vessel
Ocean Mist - Today
It was announced in 2005 that
Ocean Mist will undergo another re-fit.
For further details, please see
Ocean Mist, today