Museum of Edinburgh
House in the Royal Mile, almost opposite Canongate Tolbooth, is an
A-listed building, built in 1633 for Sir Archibald Acheson, Secretary of
State for Scotland.
house was last used in 1992 when it was The Scottish Craft Centre.
It is now in a poor state of repair and has been added to Scottish
Civic Trust 's Buildings at Risk Register.
have been proposals in recent years to refurbish Acheson House and use it
as an extension to the Museum of Edinbrugh, next door, but these have not
gone ahead due to lack lack of funds.
a new review is to be carried out on behalf of the council over the
next few months, looking into the possibility of refurbish both
Acheson House and the Museum of Edinburgh, formerly Huntly House Museum,
to provide a larger museum with more exhibition space.
of refurbishing Acheson House has been estimated at £10m. It
is anticipated that funding for the refurbishment will be sought from the
National Lottery Fund.
Edinburgh Evening News:
September 25, 2007: p.11