History of the Fountain
was cast in iron by Durenne of Paris for
an International Exhibition in Paris in 1862. When gunsmith Danniel
Ross saw it, he purchased it and donated it to the City of Edinburgh in
was shipped to Leith in 122 pieces then transferred by road the three
miles to Princes Street Gardens, Edinburgh. It was still awaiting
assembly in Princes Street Gardens when Daniel Ross died in 1871.
statue was described as "having 4 female figures ; seated between them
semi-circular basins with consoles, surmounted by a standing
figure above the basins and nymphs". An article in 1869 described it as
"one of the most elaborate and ornate structures of its class in Europe"