Wemyss Place

At the West End of Queen Street Gardens

and

Darnaway Street

 

 Wemyss Place (left) and Darnaway Street (right)  -  2006

The corner of Wemyss Place and Darnaway Street in the New Town of Edinburgh

  Copyright: Peter Stubbs  -   please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk   -                           Photograph taken March 16, 2006:  2.15pm

Enlarge this picture

     The corner of Wemyss Place (left) and Darnaway Street (right)

zoom-in to 4+5 Wemyss Place

  Nos 4 and 5 Wemyss Place, near the west end of Queen Street

 

Wemyss Place and Darnaway Street

Wemyss Place is part of the First New Town of Edinburgh.  It is a short street, leading north from the west end of Queen Street towards Stockbridge. 

The junction of Queen Street and Wemyss Place is now closed to traffic.

In this view:

- Wemyss Place is the street on the left with Queen Street, in the distance on the extreme left.  Wemyss Place was named after the Earl of Wemyss whose house was nearby.

- Darnaway Street is the street leading out of the picture on the right. Darnaway Street was built on land belonging to the Earl of Moray whose family seat was Darnaway Castle, near Forres, Scotland.

Wemyss Place can be seen close to the lower-left corner of this map  Wemyss Place forms the western boundary of Queen Street Gardens that run approximately west to east across the lower part of this map.

 1844

    Edinburgh  -  1844  -  Map produced for the Society for the Dissemination of Useful Knowledge  -  Section F

Please click on the map above to enlarge it and also see a later map and aerial photograph of the area.

 1925

 Edinburgh Map  -  1925  -  Section F

2001

 Aerial Photograph  -  2001  -  Section F

 

Maps and Aerial Photograph

Edinburgh  -  1844  -  Map produced for the Society for the Dissemination of Useful Knowledge  -  Section F

1844

 

1925

2001

Please click on any of the images above.  All three will appear on the same page.

 

 Around Edinburgh

 

 

__________________