looks to the west along Princes Street from a point close to its junction
with Castle Street. The steeple of St Cuthbert's Church and the outline
of the Caledonian Hotel at the West End of Princes Street can be seen in
were much smaller in 1959 than they are today, so this photo shows a far
more open outlook from Princes Street into the gardens than we see today.
This photo is one of several that were taken by Thomas M McGurk, from the
top deck of a bus in Princes Street, on June 20, 1959, three years after
the trams in Princes Street had been replaced by buses.