This view looks to the west along Princes Street from the East End, in
front of the North British Hotel, now the Balmoral Hotel. Woolworths
is on the fight-hand side of the road.
The Scott Monument can be seen on the edge of Princes Street Gardens, near
the centre of the picture.
There has not been much change to the buildings in this scene over the
last five decades, but the transport and fashions in the street capture
the period of the late'1950s well.
This photo is one of several that were taken by Thomas M McGurk, from the
top deck of a bus in Princes Street, on June 20, 1959, three years after
the trams in Princes Street had been replaced by buses.