Great Junction Street, Leith
- Bridge Widening - 1910
acknowledgement to Archie Foley, Joppa, Edinburgh
Peter Stubbs - please contact
Photo taken: January 21, 2011
Comparison of 1909 and 2011 photos
photos above show the same view, but were taken
about 100 years apart. Both look looking NW across
Junction Bridge, Leith.
The photo is taken from the bridge over the
Water of Leith. The bridge in the photos is over the old railway
line, now a cycle path. The railings on the left in the recent photo
are where the entrance to Junction Road Station once stood. The low
building in the centre of the old photo has been demolished, and a mural
has been painted on the gable end behind it.
The large tenement on the left at the
corner of Ferry Road looks very similar in both photos, apart from an
extra window that has been created.
Here we look across Junction Street Bridge over
the railway and Water of Leith, looking to the NW towards North Junction
Street and Leith Harbour.
The four-storey tenements on the left of this
photo are at the eastern end of Ferry Road. They were only about
eight years old when this photo was taken. The stone plaque on the
The two-storey buildings in the centre of this
photo have now been demolished. There is now an area of open land
there, on the corner of Ferry Road and North Junction Street.
The Cavorting Sailors sculptures, sailors and barrels, was added in 2002,
but was soon vandalised. Little now remains of this sculpture
The gable end, centre-right in this photo is
still standing, covered by a mural painted in 1986, but now rather faded
after the harsh winters of 2009-10 and 2010-11. Here is a photograph
of the mural taken in 2005, before the mural faded.
Here is another photo from the same collection,
also taken in 1909. This photo shows the old station beneath the
bridge and looks to the NE towards the tunnel as the line looks towards
its terminus at Leith Citadel Station,
across the road from Leith Nautical College at Commercial Street, Leith.
Acknowledgement: Archie Foley, Joppa, Edinburgh:
January 14, 2010
The photo at the top of this page is one of
a series of photos posted onto boards in an old album that Archie Foley
acquired a few years ago. Archie believes that these are likely to
be official photos that probably once belonged to Leith City Council.