This photo was taken on
Kodachrome film by amateur photographer,
Charles W Cushman
(1896-1972) from the USA during his visit to Edinburgh
The photo was taken on June
16, 1961, looking down the High Street. The shops are on the south side of
the street, a short distance below the junction with South Bridge.
Cant's Close (No 70) was close to this point, possibly hidden behind
Scandic Crown Hotel, a 6-storey, 238 bedroom hotel, was built on this site
in 1989 in a style to match some of the old buildings in Edinburgh's
Royal Mile. The hotel was sold in 2004 and is now Radisson SAS Hotel.