Walter Lyle Hume, who has been researching the ships of the
Northern Lighthouse Board wrote:
"The Lighthouse ship on the east
side of Middle Pier in this photo is the 1874 paddle, PHAROS,
which was replaced by the twin screw PHAROS in 1909.
old PHAROS was sold to Brazil and moved to
Glasgow 1911, prior to hand over. The sale fell through, so
she was used as an accommodation vessel on the Clyde by the Royal
Navy; also as an accommodation vessel during construction of
Burntisland Shipyard from 1919 until 1923, when she was sold for
scrap at Grangemouth.
this helps narrow date of postcard."
Walter Lyle Hume, Cowes, Isle of Wight, England:
July 3, 2007