The West End
The Caledonian Hotel is situated at the West End of
Princes Street, at its junction with Lothian Road.
Princes Street runs straight ahead on the left-hand side of
St John's Church, and St Cuthbert's Church, to the right
of it and further back, are in the centre of this picture,
with the Edinburgh Castle on Castle Hill above them.
Lothian Road, leading to the south from the West End of
Princes Street, passes in front of St John's Church and
behind the Caledonian Hotel in this view.
Princes Street Station lay behind the hotel
frontage. Passengers reached the station through one of the three
The station was opened by Caledonia Railway
in 1870, providing services to Balerno from 1874 and
Leith via Newhaven in 1879. Princes Street Station closed in 1965.