Here are three large
pieces of equipment, stored against one of the walls in Stevenson &
Cheyne's engineering works. One of these had been built in
Leeds in 1865 and was still in use in 1992. It was a
'slotter', used for making grooves in metal.
Looking at the maker's
name on the right-hand machine, it appears that the machine is