Laing's Foundry is one of the few remaining small
industries still operating in the Powderhall district of Edinburgh.
The company believes
it is the last jobbing foundry in Britain to use the traditional
green sand process
The company was established by Charles Laing on the west side of
Beaverbank Place in 1920. There was more industry in the area
Just 'up the road' on the east side of the street, close to the
junction with Broughton Road, was Miller's, a small electro-plating
company that remained in business until the 1990s.
moved across the road to its present premises on the east side of Beaverbank Place,
Powderhall, Edinburgh, in 1942.
The business is now in the
hands of the third generation of the Laing Family. Its
Managing Director is Andrew Laing.