The Bowling Club
Green is at 96 Main Street, Davidson's Mains, in the
north-western suburbs of Edinburgh. The
Maitland Bowling Club
web site gives a brief history of the club and includes a map
showing the location of the club.
It was founded in
February 1899 in the suburb of Davidson's Mains in north-west
Edinburgh, then known as Muttonhole because sheep were gathered
there before going to slaughter.
The meeting that
funded the bowling club was held in the Muirhouse Arms.
A number of the local gentlemen then requested of Miss M G R
Maitland the use of a ''rectangle of
ground adjoining the bridge on the Leith Road*'
Miss Maitland duly gifted the land to the club for the
nominal sum of 5/- yearly.
The Leith Road, referred to above, would have been Ferry Road.
It led to the east from the western end of Davidson's Mains
beside the cycle speedway track used by 'Granton Griffins',
through Crewe Toll and Goldenacre and on to Leith.
Peter Stubbs: November 22, 2009