Granton Castle stood
close to the Firth of Forth, immediately to the north
(probably north-east) of Caroline
Park, near where Granton Gasometers
were build in the early 20th century.
The first mention of
Granton Castle was in 1479, when it was called Granton House
and owned by the Melville family of Fife.
The 2nd Duke of Argyle bought Granton
Castle in 1716, as part of the estate of Wester Granton, that
Caroline Park. He re-named the castle Royston Castle
- though it is still described as Granton Castle in the
By 1749, the castle had become ruinous.
The castle lay in ruin in
the 19th century and was demolished in 1928 when bought by a
firm of quarriers, searching for rock underneath.