Engraving from Old & New Edinburgh - published 1890

Edinburgh Castle

Edinburgh Castle from Princes Street

Engraving from 'Old & new Edinburgh'  -  Edinburgh Castle from Princes Street

  For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

    

Edinburgh Castle from Princes Street

In this view looking towards Edinburgh Castle from Princes Street, the Mound led directly up the hill from Princes Street towards the light coloured Bank of Scotland Head Office.

From this view it can easily be envisaged how the mound had been constructed.  It was created with cart-loads of earth when foundations were laid for the New Town of Edinburgh.  The earth was dumped into what used to be the North Loch and is now Princes Street Gardens.

 

 

 

__________________