The house occupies
a prominent position on the east side of St Andrew Square, set
back from the square behind its own garden.
Following the death
of Dundas in 1781, the house was sold to the government and
subsequently became the principal office of the Excise in
Scotland. The Excise Office later moved to
In 1804, a 2-storey extension
was added on the south side of the building.
In 1825, Dundas
House was purchased by Royal Bank of Scotland, and in 1828 it
became the bank's Head Office. A new banking hall with a
large domed ceiling and figures representing Commerce,
Agriculture, Navigation and the Arts was added. This hall
opened in 1861 and is still in use today, looking very
impressive following refurbishment in 1989.