East side of St
30-34 St Andrew Square
row of buildings towards the left hand edge of the
engraving above have been demolished and replaced by a new
building to house the new Edinburgh bus station (due to open 2003)
and by Nos
a new Harvey Nichols store. The store opened in 2002.
A new street has been built between the new Bus Station and the Harvey Nichols store.
The street leads from St Andrew Square to the to St James Shopping
35 St Andrew
The building with
ionic columns, above the stagecoach in the engraving above is
It was designed by the architect of Edinburgh New Town, James Craig, in 1769.
It was and built by James Young
In 1830 No 35 became the Douglas Hotel,
whose guests included Queen Victoria and Sir Walter Scott on his
last visit to Edinburgh in 1832.
The Royal Bank of Scotland announced in
October 2005 that No.36 had become dilapidated and had lain empty
for several years, and that they now intend to refurbish the
building, retaining its character and appearance, to create a
Conference Centre in the city centre, following the bank's move of
their Global Head Office to Gogarburn
Edinburgh Evening News: 25
October 2005, p.23.
36 St Andrew Square
the gap beyond the building with the pillars is Dundas House,
now occupied by the
Royal Bank of Scotland. This was one of the first
buildings to be built in Edinburgh's
The site had been
set aside in Craig's plan of the New Town as a site for a
church, to match St George's Church built on the west side of
Charlotte Square, but when Dundas heard of this plan he arranged
for Dundas House to be constructed instead.
37 St Andrew
The building in the
centre of the engraving above, with the large ionic columns is
It is occupied by the Bank of Scotland.
No 37 matches No
35. The the two buildings flank No 36, Dundas House.
38-39 St Andrew
The buildings to the
right of No 37 in the engraving above have were demolished to
enable new buildings to be constructed. Nos
were designed by David Bryce and constructed for the British Linen
Bank in 1851-52. These buildings have a Roman facade and Corinthian columns topped with
statues. The British Linen Bank has become part of Bank of
Scotland which is now based at this address.
38 - 39
40-42 St Andrew
in the early 1800s, were the Dumbreck Hotels. William Dumbreck was the
eldest son of John Dumbreck who ran a hotel and
business from White Horse Inn at Cowgate Port from 1781.
were sold by William Dumbreck
to National Commercial Bank in 1825 and were then replaced by a
new building, built as the Head Office of the National
Commercial Bank of Scotland. This was numbered 42.
Following a takeover, this
became the Head Office of the Royal Bank of Scotland, No
became the Head Office
of the Royal Bank of Scotland and remained their Head Office until
the bank opened its new Global Headquarters at Gogarburn, near
Edinburgh Airport, in 2005 at a cost of £350m.
Acknowledgement for architectural details
Edinburgh - An Illustrated Architectural Guide