The Caledonian Railway route from Princes Street Station, seen from the site of

Merchiston Station

2006

Looking east, towards Edinburgh, from the site of the former Merchiston Station

View of the former Caledonian Railway Route, approaching Merchiston Station from the east

  Peter Stubbs.   Photograph taken:  19 June 2006,  3.14pm

 

Enlarge this photo

  View of the former Caledonian Railway Route, approaching Merchiston Station from the east

 

The Caledonian Railway Route through

Merchiston Station

Merchiston Station was at Bonaly Place, now renamed Harrison Place.  Merchiston was the first stop on the Caledonian Railway line that ran to the SW from Princes Street Station through the Scottish Borders.

Princes Street Station closed in 1965.

Princes Street Station

  Princes Street Station  -  1958

The first part of the old line from Princes Street Station has now become the Western Approach Road, leading from Lothian Road to:

-   Angle Park Terrace beside Dalry Cemetery
-   with a branch to Roseburn at the former Dalry Road  Station.

The photograph above shows the line a short distance further west, between Harrison Road and Harrison Place.

 

Pictures of Granton

Recollections  -  More Pages

Recollections  -   Contributors

  

 

__________________