This photograph is taken from a point about 1/4 mile to the east of
The line straight ahead runs between Warriston allotments, through the
bridge under under Warriston Road, then through Warriston Cemetery
before swinging round to the left and heading north
towards Scotland Street Goods Yard.
The line to Granton
The line running from left to right across the picture is the 'new'
(since 1868!) route from the centre of Edinburgh
to Trinity and Granton Harbour, via Abbeyhill, Easter Road, Leith Walk and
This crossing of the old railway lines can still be seen today, but all
routes are now foot paths / cycle paths.
Many large trees have grown around the area. These now hide the
view towards the bridge over Warriston Road, the houses beside the bridge
and the high ground on the left, St Mark's Park, from view.
However a glimpse of the allotments in the valley on the right can still
be seen today.