This photo was taken on
Kodachrome film by amateur photographer,
Charles W Cushman
(1896-1972) from the USA during his visit to Edinburgh
The photo was taken on June
15, 1961, looking down on Waverley Station from the path that leads
beneath the National Galleries of Scotland in Princes Street Gardens.
This photo was taken as steam
trains were coming to an end on British Railways. There is only one
steam locomotive to be seen amongst a variety of diesels in the station.
In the background is Waverley
Bridge, with North Bridge behind it. At the upper left-hand corner
is the North British Hotel, now the Balmoral Hotel, at the corner of North
Bridge and Princes Street.