This view looks to the SE from the tower of
St Stephen's church, over the roofs of the New Town of Edinburgh, towards
Arthur's Seat, the 823ft high extinct volcano about two miles away in
- The road running diagonally across the centre of this photo from
lower-left to upper right is Dundas Street.
- The street in the foreground, leading from Dundas Street to the
lower-right corner of the photo is Great King Street
- Landmarks on the skyline can be seen on the above photo -
and seen more clearly by clicking on the thumbnail above.
They are, from left to right:
- National Monument, Calton
- Nelson Monument, Calton
- St James Centre, shopping
and office complex.
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery,
undergoing restoration, shrouded in green.
- Clock tower of the Balmoral Hotel,
formerly the North British Hotel, at the east end of Princes Street.
- Arthur's Seat in Holyrood Park,
rising behind the Scottish National Portrait Gallery and clock tower of
the Balmoral Hotel.
- Melville Monument in the
centre of St Andrew Square.
Crags in Holyrood Park, behind the Balmoral Hotel tower and