This 10 ft high bronze statue of Queen Victoria stands at the foot
of Leith Walk. It was erected as a tribute to the men
of Leith who fought in the Boer War.
The inauguration of the
statue, in 1907, was attended by a crowd of 20,000.
The statue has been
- In 1968, it was moved from further out in the main road.
- In 2002, it was moved a few yards to the east.
This was to make room for a new 60 ft high new blue steel
sculpture of a whale's tusk to commemorate the refurbishment of
Leith Kirkgate shopping centre, one of Scotland's first shopping
centres, build in the 1950s.