United Free Church was built 1876-79. The architect was Hippolyte J
Blanc. He became President of Edinburgh Photographic Society
from 1888 to 1891.
This image of
the church is taken from the journal, The Building News, August 17,
Here is an photo from a postcard, taken about ten years later. It
shows a clock on the face of the tower, but no sign of the two small windows
at about 'clock level' in the image above.