Leith's electric trams
began to operate in 1905. At first the service to the west
from Leith went as far as Newhaven Harbour. The journey further
west, as far as Granton was continued by horse-drawn bus.
A Leith electric tram
and a horse-drawn bus can both be seen in this photo. This part of
Newhaven seemed well served for food and drink. The harbour is
just out of the picture on the left.
Today, Main Street,
the road straight ahead on the right, has been closed to traffic
at this end, beside the old Marine Hotel, and Pier Place, the road
on the left takes the traffic through Newhaven, taking a
route between the old village and the old harbour.