This advert appeared in the Edinburgh
Post Office Directory in 1864.
The Royal Insurance building in the
left-hand engraving above stands immediately to the east of the church of
St Andrew & St George
on the north side of
One of the pillars of St Andrew & St George church is on the left hand
side of this engraving.
The Royal insurance building above
still looks very similar externally, but is now part of Standard Life
Investments' office which extends from 1 to 13 George Street.