crossbones, hourglasses, angels, tools and other symbols can be found on the gravestones in North Leith Cemetery.
This burial ground dates from the mid-17th century, and is on a small plot
of land beside the Water of Leith in Coburg Street.
replaced the graveyard beside the North Leith church of St Nicholas (the
patron saint of seamen) which was lost due to the building of Leith
Citadel in 1856.
People buried in this cemetery include:
- the grandparents of the 19th century Prime Minister, W. E. Gladstone.
- Lady Mackintosh, who raised a regiment for Prince Charlie’s 1745 rising.
- Rev Dr David Johnston, founder of the Blind
Asylum 1793 and Minister of North Leith Church for 59 years.