The former Eastern Scottish bus depot in New Street, built in the
1930s, was demolished to make way for Mountgrange's
Caltongate development in the Waverley Valley (still subject to
detailed planning permission) at May 2007.
During the demolition, remains
of buildings from Edinburgh's first gas works were discovered. This
gas works began production in 1817 and at one time employed around 200