The plaque above is set into the pavement beside No 66 Braid Road,
close to the junction with Comiston Terrace in South Morningside,
It has the Coats of Arms of Edinburgh District Council (top left) and
Lothian Regional Council (top right).
The inscription reads:
The Hanging Stanes
Thomas Kelly and Henry O’R Neill,
the last two highwaymen in Scotland
executed, were hanged in public on 25
January 1815 from the gallows erected
the stanes still visible on the spot
which was where the robbery took
Paid for by Public Subscription
The two stones, each 1m square x 50mm thick, were set into the west
side of Braid Road at this position, the site of the highway robbery,
specifically to allow the gibbets for the hanging to be erected.
The two 'highwaymen', Thomas Kelly and Henry O'Neill, were hung there
in 1915, at the site of their crime.