This view appears to have been taken from the clock tower of North
British Hotel at the east end of Princes Street (though my first
impression on seeing this photo was that it looked as if it had been taken
from even higher). The NB Hotel would have been newly built when
this photo was taken.
The view includes two main streets, with lots of pedestrians but very
few vehicles. The streets have tracks for the cable cars.
The streets are:
- LEFT: Leith Street leading to Leith
Walk then Leith.
- RIGHT: Waterloo Place (right) an
extension of Princes Street to the east.
Also in the photo are
- LOWER LEFT CORNER: Register House
at East End of Princes Street
- CENTRE LEFT CORNER: St James
Square, demolished 1960s
- TOP: Firth of Forth and coast of
- UPPER CENTRE (between the two streets):
Calton Hill and Monuments
Acknowledgement: Sandra Cochrane and John Stewart:
July 20, 2010