description on the back
of this card reads:
"The Forth Bridge, one of the great
engineering triumphs of the age, carries
the North British Railway line across the Queensferry narrows.
It is on a cantilever principle and is upwards
of one and a half miles in length, fully two-thirds of the distance over
salt water. The great central arches, each nearly a third of a mile
in span, spring from the Island of Inchgarvie; and the summits
of the peers rise to a height of 361 ft above high water mark.
The bridge, which took seven years in
construction, was opened on 4th March 1890 by King Edward VII. It
cost three and a half million sterling."