Thank you to D
Richard Torrance for researching A R Montgomery and his
postcards. The results of Richard's research appear in a
short illustrated article in Lothian Postcard Club's
Newsletter , Issue 32, March 2008.
- A R Montgomery published several
postcards of the Pentland Hills, to the SW of Edinburgh
- AR Montgomery's initials appear
in the picture (sometimes in quite a prominent place) on most
or possibly all of his postcards.
- A R Montgomery gives his address
as Juniper Green, but he was not living there at the time of
the 1901 census. A wider search of the 1901 census found
that he was living in Leith at the time.
- Birth and death certificates
show that his his full name was Alexander Robert Montgomery
and that he was born at 13 James Street, Pilrig, Edinburgh,
son of James Montgomery, coachman, and Jessie Robertson.
- In 1900, A R Montgomery married
Eliza Wilcock in Chester, England.
- His first child was born in
South Leith, 1901. Another child was born at Pentland
Cottage, Juniper Green, 1910
- By 1901, AR Montgomery was an
Ordnance Survey tracer, living at 14 Dalmeny Street, Leith
- A R Montgomery and family moved
to Juniper Green, living at Pentland Cottage, Baberton Avenue
(1903-1921) then at Cairnbank, Baberton Avenue (from 1922).
- A R Montgomery died in 1940, but
his family continued to live at Cairnbank, Baberton Avenue