This view looks to the north towards the Firth of Forth. The road
straight ahead with the tenements on its left is King's Road, built around
The centre rail for the cable for Edinburgh's cable cars can be seen on
the track as it crosses the railway bridge.
There are two hay carts at the junction.
The road to the left at the junction is Seafield Road, leading to
Leith, about two miles to the west. Just out of the picture is
Marine Gardens on the right-hand side of Seafield Road, heading for Leith.
The road to the right at the junction is Portobello High Street,
leading to the centre of Portobello, about half a mile to the east.
Just out of the picture on the right is the site where Portobello power
station and the open air swimming pool were built then demolished in the
This post card would have been published in the 1910's - after the
tenements in King's Road were built and before the cable cars were
replaced by electric trams. The card was posted from Edinburgh
to Glasgow in August 1918.