Early House - 16th Century
In 1683, the estate of Royston, with a large house, built by
Andrew Logan, about 1585 on the eastern side of Granton Burn, was
bought by Sir George Mackenzie of Tarbat.
Extension - 17th Century
Over the next 13 years,
this 'L-shaped' house was extended to become a quadrangle, and the
main approach to the house was moved from the north to the south.
The general outline of the house is French. On the front
of the house, the date '1696' is carved on a frieze.
Tarbat tried, unsuccessfully to sell the house to the
Government to become an official residence of the Lord Chancellor
2nd Duke of Argyll - 18th
Tarbat died in 1714.
His son inherited the estate and in 1739 sold it to John Campbell,
2nd Duke of Argyll.
Argyll also bought
land on the western side of Granton Burn and named the whole
estate Caroline Park after his daughter. He gave the
estate to her in 1743, shortly before his death.
In 1742, Lady Caroline had married Francis, Earl of Dalkeith
and heir to the dukedom of Buccleuch, so the estate passed to the
Buccleuch Family - 19th
From 1802 to 1835, the house was leased by the Buccleuch family
to Archibald Cockburn, Sheriff of Midlothian, Baron of the
Exchequer and father of Lord Cockburn, the conservationist
after whom the Cockburn Association is named.
A B Fleming & Co - 20th
The area around the house became more industrial in the 19th
and early 20th century. The house was sold to A B Fleming &
Co who owned printing ink works nearby, in 1921 and used as their
Head Office until 1966. It is still occupied today.
C16-17: 'The Buildings of Scotland -
Edinburgh' (John Gifford et al.) Penguin Books, 1984
C18-20: 'Stranger on the Shore - A
short history of Granton' (James Gracie),
Argyll Publishing, 2003
[ISBN 1 902831 535]