The Black Watch Memorial

At the junction of Market Street and North Bank Street

Looking towards the Black Watch Monument  -  from the west

The Black Watch Monument at the corner of Market Street and North Bank Street

  Peter Stubbs   peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk                                                                                                    Photo taken 9 October 2005

 

View smaller photo

    The Black Watch Monument at the corner of Market Street and North Bank Street

The Black Watch Monument

The Royal Highland Regiment, the oldest of the Scottish Highland units became known as The Black Watch because of the dark colour of their tartan - mainly blacks, greens and blues.

The Regiment was raised in Aberfeldy in Perthshire in 1739.

Please click on the plaque and inscription below to enlarge it.

The Black Watch Monument at the corner of Market Street and North Bank Street

The inscription near the top of the monument reads:

'AM FREICEADAN DUBH'

('The Black Watch' in Gaelic)

 

 

__________________